Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I made a vow to carry you home. If you fall sick, or you pass out.

Have you ever thought about those things that you want to do before you die? I do all the time. I have these images and ideas that pop into my mind every now and then, and most of the time I forget what they were about, or why I even wanted to do them in the first place.

But Monday afternoon, as I was driving home from school, one of these thoughts came to me, and I realized how much I would love to actually do this thing.

I take the backroads to and from Altamont Pass, and seeing as they are indeed backroads, there are a lot of open fields. Every day I pass this field on my right that always looks so peaceful and quiet. From this field, you can basically see the whole west side of Tracy, and somehow this picture has really grown on me. I find it beautiful.

Someday I would love to get a couple of my musician friends (which already kills this idea, seeing as I only regularly see one of my musician friends) together, learn 10 or so songs, get them basically perfect, and then go out and have ourselves a concert at that open field. We don't need an audience. In fact, I think I would enjoy it more if there was no audience at all. Just four or five of us, guitars, bass, drums, and vocals, and just put on a concert for ourselves.

Of course there are some problems with this idea. For instance, finding the people and the time to practice all of these songs would be very difficult. Plus, just because I think this would be the coolest thing ever doesn't mean anyone else will! And how we would find electric outlets to plug in our instruments and amps is still a mystery to me. And trust me, I have thought about it. The best idea I could come up with was a recon mission involving sneaking all of the extension cords into the fire station 300 feet away and stealing their electricity. But stealing from firefighters doesn't seem like my sort of gig.

Seriously though, after playing this scenario out in my mind a couple of times, I'm starting to love it. Maybe someday though, huh?

So what about a set list? Let's go with this:
1. The Sound of You and Me - Yellowcard
2. We Are One Tonight - Switchfoot
3. I Can Talk - Two Door Cinema Club
4. Kids - MGMT (Haha I've always wanted to perform this song!)
5. The Funeral - Band of Horses
6. Vindicated - Dashboard Confessional
7. Sign of Her Glory - Rookie of the Year
8. A Day Late - Anberlin
9. Your Hand in Mine - Explosions in the Sky
10. So Here We Are - Bloc Party (The song I was listening to while picturing this moment)

Ok, so I could substitute some of these songs out, but this seems like an awesome concert set list. Even if it would be a tempo roller coaster. BUT So Here We Are has to close the set, and Your Hand in Mine NEEDS to be in there somewhere. You cannot have such an awesome concert without that song.

1 comment:

  1. Is it weird that even though I can't play an instrument or sing, I've had this idea in my head ever since the first time I drove through the Altamont? It would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete