Monday, February 21, 2011

Come though, kaleidoscope.

I find the shower to be the best thinking place that I can easily access. Outside of an ocean front cliff at sunset or a warm meadow at noon, the shower is a great place to just stand (or sit) and think about life. Because I'm a thinker, or at least I like to tell myself that, and at the same time, I like things simple. I like books, music, ideas that are straightforward and easy to understand, while at the same time making me think. I'm actually quite fond of this preference that I have.

And there I was, letting the warm water run over my shoulders, as I contemplate the things that really matter in life. And I find myself thinking about Jesus. Now, when someone says "Jesus" in public, you'll of course get some interesting response, including both sides of the prophetic spectrum. They say either he was a man of great influence who spoke to God or he was the Son of God. I think it's clear which side of the spectrum on which I stand.

But personally, I've found it hard to picture Jesus as a person. Thats essentially what he was, a person, like you and me. He was flesh. Flesh, in terms of the Bible, is the reason in which we sin, and in order to fully know God, we must overcome the flesh. So if Jesus was the flesh, that meant he had to have the same characteristics of a human being as myself. This brings a whole bunch of thoughts into my mind.

What would Jesus do? Would he have stood in the shower reflecting on how difficult of a week it's been? In John 6:66 (Yes, 666, it's not just a random number, it has a meaning) when a vast majority of his followers left him because of miscommunication, did he sit there on a rock, by the ocean, during sunset, and contemplate life as I do? Would he like Kaleidoscope as much as I do? Well, if he is God in the flesh, wouldn't that mean that he likes all music, considering that he invented music? Music that exalts Him of course. So then, actual tones and notes aside, what about lyrics? Could he see the emotion and thought put into Hardcore Rock with all of it's screaming and heavy guitars? Would Jesus prefer In-n-out or Carls Jr.? What about video games? He obviously said murder was wrong, but he also acknowledged the fact that war, and the death that comes with war, was something that was going to happen, and even used it to lift Himself up. So would he approve of a game of Capture the Flag between five friends who happen to enjoy pumping virtual lead into each other's virtual chests? There is no animosity at all in the mix, yet it is still a simulation of murder, which he despised, and war, which he used as a positive tool. So what would he say?

Or would all of these things we enjoy and struggle with every day be seen by Him as mere distractions from the ultimate goal in life, and as such, excluded from His daily routine?

Who knows? I'm not expecting an answer, but this is one of those places, apart from the shower and the Pacific Ocean, in which I think and write down such thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment