Tuesday, July 6, 2010

And the truth is you could slit my throat, and with my one last gasping breath I'd apologize for bleeding on your shirt

I've been in a slump when it comes to writing lately. I've tried thinking up ideas, and I come up with some really interesting stuff, but I never seem to complete the thought or move forward with it. What is that, like Writer's ADHD? I can't focus on one thing! But I've been really inspired by music lately, and I really want to write something that centers around music. I've also been wanting to write a play, which is something I can see myself doing, but I've always seen plays as harder to write than other projects. You really have to capture the human element in theater, because you have to give the actors at least something to work with. A great actor is nothing without a solid script, and vice versa, but as the writer, it's my job to make sure the script is rock solid.

Coming up with conflicts has always seemed harder to me in theater than in writing other stories, so I'm going to have to work on that, but I think a story that revolves around music and how it affects different peoples' lives would be really interesting. But I don't want it to be a musical, which you think would probably be fairly obvious when it comes to plays. If it's about music, chances are that it's going to be a musical. Ya, I'm not feeling that. Well, now I just need to get to thinking. And thinking... and thinking.

"I'm thinkin'... I'm thinkin'... Whoa, would you take a look at that?!" I think that's how the quote goes, and if you can tell me what it's from, you win a cookie. A cookie I tell you!

1 comment: